“It’s a bad, bad world”, goes a song that was written in the ’90s, and it very well resembles the world we live in today. Fortunately there are some people, who hope to change the way it has been, and strive for a better future.
They are people who have done the unthinkable and managed to spread a little hope in an otherwise hopeless world.
At Impact Guru we believe that everyone has the potential to do good and everyone has the power to initiate a change in the society.
Here are some awesome humans who have taken the worst from the society and given back their best. They have indeed dared to make a difference :
1) Malala Yousafzai – the Pakistani nobel prize laureate who turned 19 just this week, has strived for justice for young girls in her country. Helping people comes naturally to her.
In a hostile environment that was controlled by the Taliban, she defied all odds to make education available to every girl who wished for it.
She rallied for her cause, inspite of getting shot by the Taliban when she was just 16.
Her bravery and passion won her worldwide recognition and mostly a new platform to empower her cause.
2) Medha Patkar – The renowned Indian activist who initiated the “Narmada Bachao” campaign has become a legend in her own sense.
She campaigned for the tribals who were voiceless when it came to fight for their rights.
Hers was a fight against the government that decided to build a range of dams in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra and uproot entire clans of tribals and adivasis from their livelihood.
Her determination to push every limit to get them justice is commendable!
3) Nancy Goodman Brinker: You may not recognize Ms. Brinker’s name, but her contribution is one that has touched many lives and is still helping people.
Nancy’s journey began when her sister Susan died of breast cancer in her mid-thirties, Nancy promised her sister that she would do all she could to help the half-million women worldwide who are diagnosed with breast cancer every year.
Today, research grants dispensed by the “Susan G. Komen Foundation” have contributed to new treatments that have led to a marked decrease in the mortality rate.
In August this year, President Obama awarded Nancy (who is a breast cancer survivor) with the Medal of Freedom for her work.
4) His Holiness The Dalai Lama – Most of us know him to be a religious leader who lives a hermit’s life. But he is also a social reformer who has strived to make the life of his people better.
The Tibetan population has been under the Chinese persecution for decades now.
His holiness The Dalai Lama is known as the face of the Tibetan fight for justice globally.
He has even risked his life on occasion, to protect the rights that the Tibetan people deserve. He has contributed a great deal in terms of human rights, children’s education and advocacy against war & terrorism and continues helping people.
5) Kailash Satyarthi– We witness thousands of child related crimes every day. Most children do not even know what they are entitled to and often suffer in silence.
Kailash Satyarthi is an Indian children’s rights and education advocate and an activist against child labour.
He founded the Bachpan Bachao Andolan in 1980 and has acted to protect the rights of more than 83,000 children from 144 countries and continues to contribute to society with his work. Amazing, no?
6) Angelina Jolie– Surprised to see this name here? Well don’t be. Once a person oblivious to people’s suffering, was transformed after a visit to a war torn Cambodia.
Since then she has ventured far and high to help those who have been affected by the various violent terrorist and are struggle in the war zones.
She was named a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador and her humanitarian work really got going.
7) David Suzuki– We have abused the environment way beyond it deserves, but Dr. David has initiated a wave of transformation that hopes to preserve the environment.
Dr David Suzuki is a longtime activist who has advocated proactive ways to reverse global climatic change.
He has advocated ways in which we can protect the environment and with time even undo the damage we have done to it.
Still wondering how to help others?
Well, if you want to contribute to the society, if you have a cause close to your heart, you can begin here.